Saturday, February 7, 2015

Castillo San Felipe de Barajas

Day one in Cartagena was pretty rad. I walked around in the morning and then Mike and I headed to the castle that was built beginning in 1537. It is considered the most formidable defense complex in Spanish military architecture. Mike and I walked around at first but were left with so many questions that we returned for the audio tour, which was really fascinating. The only way the people were defeated was a siege where the town held out for 4 months before 7,000 of the 12,000 people were starved to death. We ended the night meeting up with some of our boat mates and then said our goodbyes.



Tunnels for days


I don't think they were very tall

Cityscape and a fútbol game happening on the roof with the yellow arch

A tourist came up to me wanting to take my picture; I was a little apprehensive when she told me to look away but all was well. What I am looking at actually used to be swamp land and the only land access point. It was a key tactical defense because it was filled with disease infested mosquitoes who worked their magic on the enemy. When the French did in fact take over the castle at one point, they had to eventually retreat due to over half the troops dying of yellow fever and malaria.


Steep steps

The texture on these walls!
A closer look shows a lot of it is coral ..cool!

These canons had long range ammunition as well as short range shrapnel ammunition just in case the lower battery got taken over, pretty much everything was thought of


Audio tour

Dusk

Going down looking back up. .steep


Deeper into the tunnels and there is no light! Luckily had my headlamp


No comments:

Post a Comment