Saturday, February 14, 2015

Guatapé

Guatapé is a couple hours outside of Medellín and is one of the country's largest lakes.

I stayed in perfectly fine hostel right in the center of downtown close to everything.

I the morning I woke up early (for me) and attempted to buy my ticket from Medellín to Quito. After reserving the flight and everything (in Spanish) the final step was to pay in Colombian pesos...which involved having a Colombian bank...which led to a series of frustrating calls in Spanish with excess waiting time...which led to an email I could show a bank to pay them...which led to a 25 minute taxi outside the small town to another with a bank...which led to the bank denying because the email lacked an account number...which led to more phone call and waiting and having to recharge my phone because it took so many minutes...to the bank closing just before I received the account number...to me canceling my flight. Oh well, it was definitely the most stressed I have been but I learned not to buy something online if it's shown in pesos...

After eating something for the first time that day after noon, I was a little more relieved also that I had the flight cancelled and made sure they would not charge me (had already put in card information which for some reason was not the payment).

I get back into town and only have a few hours of daylight. I wanted to go to the top of the rock (which is where everyone goes for the 360 pan of the lake and I wanted to rock climb. Only had time for one of those so I chose rock climbing...it's been a while and I had no idea what to expect but I have never really been on a real rock.

I ask the man at my hostel, he makes a phone call, and writes down the name of a nursery to tell the cab driver to stop at. He also writes down the guy's name and phone number just in case, which was smart because I get to the nursery and ask for Jhon and then get directed across the street and under a fence.

I really didn't know where we were going to go climbing, but it makes perfect sense we go on the biggest rock in town. We walk from his house down the street and then up the hill to "La Piedra" where we get suited up. Turns out we are climbing together, another first for me! This guy taught me the bare minimum and then starts climbing with me belaying him...luckily I have done this before but this has also been his backyard for the last 10 years. 


The first pitch was the hardest, a 14 meter climb 5.10 (which was my limit in Chico after climbing 3 times a week). 5.6 was the easiest, 5.12 the hardest (although they do get exponentially harder). 


Halfway up the first pitch taking a break

First pitch done time to re-energize

Yes there was a hammock and yes I had to get in it. Stoked

The view may not be a 360, but I got the idea of the lake while having quite the time...and avoiding tourists!


We then traversed over 3 pitches and dropped down, sessioning a spot with 3 different lines.

We ended around 6:30 (which was the last bus out of the town to Medellín), but luckily you don't need to be at a bus stop to catch one and since his house was  a little out of town, I waited in front for a few minutes and was on a bus back to Medellín.

The day that started out as one of the roughest turned into an awesome day with spectacular views, first times, and awesome feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment