Monday, February 9, 2015

Medellín Day 1

Yesterday Mike and I took a bus from downtown Cartagena to the bus station where we bought our tickets and parted ways. The bus was nice and decked out inside and the driver was typical passing cars on busy streets like nothing.

I then boarded my bus a couple hours later and 14 hours later arrived in Medellín at around 6:30am.

I had a hostel in mind that had good reviews so I told the cab driver and off we went. Driving through the center of the city was hectic to say the least with so many vehicles on the road, motos barely moved faster than cars. 

45 minutes later we arrived in the neighborhood where my hostel was and I was completely mind blown. This has to be one of my favorite neighborhoods I have been in no joke. Every single little cafe and even closed bar is beautiful and the neighborhood is quiet and peaceful with no vendors shoving things in your face. Granted, it was early but it didn't change throughout the day!



Standard restaurant in this area



This building is not only rad but acts as a good point of reference from afar

Couldn't choose between these two, so why not as both. I think this one really shows the scale

Cool hotel architecture


My hostel is no exception either. Upper floor

Oh yeah my hostel is about 50 meters to the right of the yellow bridge

My breakfast though. Warm delicious chocolate croissant, baked egg with pesto and sun dried tomato layers, and my first ever cappuccino where I didn't add sugar it was so good! All for just over $7. Literally in heaven. And of course I had internet where I was able to make my sleeping arrangements for the next week. As much as I am in love with this neighborhood, I bought my flight back home from Bolivia the other day which set me back a hefty G and then had to take a look at my bank account......on the plus I will get a nice local experience. 

After my outstanding breakfast, I headed back to the hostel to figure out the rest of my day and transportation, ect. Decided to take the metro to a hill with a 360 view of the city with a little replica town on top and beautiful trails heading down where you could choose an art path with sculptures or a nature path, which I chose.


Was happy to see this, thought of you Mom


Saw and heard some really cool birds which was very nice and relaxing. Made it back to the metro and hostel with virtually no problems; the neighborhood is very well laid out and easy to get around, another huge plus!

Me and my line disease..

What a pleasant surprise to pass this guy at the end of my walk

I am already liking this city more than Cartagena, can't wait for tomorrow. I am going to meet up with my new friend whom I have not met yet in person. This kid randomly liked a couple of my photos on my Instagram account back when I was in Costa Rica and when I checked out who he was, he not only killed it on a bmx but his description said he lived in Medellín! Added him on Facebook and started talking about meeting up to film/take photos and he offered me a spot at his place with his grandma where I would only pay for food! Dang we live in some good times; the power of social media. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment